So, we all know how awesome our RY hand soaps are, right?
They lather, they’re completely toxic-free, and I absolutely LOVE the essential oils we’ve chosen to start the line – but do you know the real reasons behind why ditching your current commercial hand soap is so crucial?
Commercial hand soaps (72% of which are antibacterial) have been found to not only be super harmful to our bodies but also, completely unnecessary! Good hand washing practices + chemical-free soap can do just as good of a job and leaves you totally toxic-free. These commercial hand soaps are also found to:
- Promote the growth of “superbugs.”
- Wipe out both harmful and good bacteria (and even kill human cells) – this is especially important for kids because when common bacteria are wiped out, kids aren’t exposed to them and basic exposure actually helps strengthen and build young immune systems.
So now, let’s look at a handful of the ingredients I recommend you specifically avoid (and educate yourself on):
- Stays on skin for many hours, not just when washing hands.
- EWG shows triclosan can cause decreased fertility, birth defects and organ damage.
- It’s also found to be an endocrine disruptor.
- Can be detected in breast milk – so it’s clearly entering our body.
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate/Sodium Laureth Sulfate
- Found in 90% of personal care items that foam.
- Active ingredient in garage floor cleaners, degreasers and industrial soaps –yuck!
- Damaging to cell membranes.
- EWG classified as: skin/eye irritant, toxic to organs, toxic to reproduction, neurotoxic, endocrine disruptor, possible mutations to cells and even cancer causing.
- Hormone-disrupting effects.
- Diminishes muscle mass and even increases fat storage (um, no thanks!).
- Topical parabens have been found in breast tumors (which is concerning because parabens mimic estrogen and encourage tumor growth.
- Releases formaldehyde & can cause joint pain, heart irregularities and weakened immune systems.
- Primary cause of contact dermatitis.
- Linked to cancer, reproductive & development issues, allergies and more.
- Made from coal tar – gross!
- These contain heavy metal salts that shouldn’t be hanging out on our skin.
- Animal studies show them to be carcinogenic to animals.
- Main ingredient in anti-freeze – FDA lists as a known carcinogen.
- Weakens skin cells.
- Found in hand sanitizers, shaving cream, hair products, deodorants and even baby products.
So, even creepier than that – I could probably list and highlight another 10 ingredients found in common hand soaps – what the heck? Why do we continue to allow this stuff into our homes and even worse, unknowingly bring it in there? I bet after reading the list above you will be thinking twice and checking labels more – at least that’s the goal. That’s why educating ourselves truly does = e.m.p.o.w.e.r.m.e.n.t.
So, now I could go on and create a list of why RY hand soaps (especially the delicious grapefruit) is SO much better but ya know what? I’ll let the above really do the speaking today. Let’s get that junk out of our homes (and out of our water systems!) and start making better choices. Our dollar is our vote – let’s start changing some things.
Oh and definitely check out our hand soaps here.